Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Own Use of Technology


I don't understand my math teacher! :(
Today, Tuesday Nov 27 was the perfect day to see how I truly used technology because it is another today were I have three consecutive classes. I woke up to my alarm from my phone so there is my first interaction of the day with technology. As I got ready for class I received a text message from my sister, she texts me good morning every day. I took advantage of checking my phone and I shot my mom a good morning text message as well so she would not feel left out. Throughout the course of my morning I texted with my sister back and forth until I walked into my math class and sat down. Then my friend texted me and that’s when I started using my phone over again and I lost concentration. I was not taking in anything that the teacher was explaining and since he never says anything about students’ texting I did not stop. By the end of the class the conversation between my friend and me was 100 messages long and all we talked about was how we did not sleep well and how I was hungry because I woke up too late for breakfast. Before entering my English class on the other hand, I texted my friend and told her that I was going to enter class and that I would text her once I was out. If I get called out for texting once in class I will not do it again for the rest of the year, as simple as that. After reflecting on this I knew it should not be this way. I should give all my instructors the same respect and keep my phone in my backpack until the end of class. On my way to biology class I texted my friend back. Here is where I set myself up for failure again. My biology teacher does not say anything at all to students for being late, using phones, or leaving the class. It seems like I am taking advantage of his flexibility and that is not right. Since we do use an electronic book for biology I take my lap top to class. Although I can easily venture onto Facebook or other websites I do not. I am not interested much in Facebook or other social networking sites such as twitter or tumbler. When I go to lunch with my teammates after my biology class I am texting with another friend that is not around at the time. By the end of the school day I feel stress out because I do not understand the math homework or my biology homework and it is all because I have no control over my texting. On top of that I get to my dorm and sleep instead of doing my homework on blackboard. This kind of behavior is harmful to my academic achievements and my social life. Technology is not a harmful resource, but it can be if it is not used properly. In my case I am using technology in a bad way, but I can turn it around. After this day I will be better about not using my phone during class. Also, I will give the people that are around me the importance that they deserve by not texting or checking my phone in front of them. I know how it feels when you are talking to someone and they just take out their phone and start texting s if what you are telling them is too boring or not important enough to pay full attention to. Until now I had not realized how much importance I gave to my phone instead of enjoying the things that I was physically doing and the people around me.
The things I will work on...Cell phone etiquette! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Auri! Love the photos -- the one of you in math class is so cute, and the skateboarder is hilarious!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete