Saturday, December 1, 2012

Technology as a Doudle Edge Sword.


Distracted by phone during class!! D=
As I sit down to read over the question “Is technology causing me to lose as much as I gain?” presented in the video “Digital Nation” by immediate response is no. Technology is not causing me to gain as much as I lose. I consider myself to be addicted to my phone because I carry it with me where ever it is that I go even if I know I am not going to need it and that it’ll be a burden to be carrying it around and looking after it. This is why I drop it sometimes because I know I shouldn’t be carrying groceries AND my cell phone at the same time. I have even dropped it in the toilet for being careless and leaving it in the back pocket of my jeans.  Then I start thinking about the true significance of the question and I stop my train of thought to reconsider . . . This question to me means if technology is making me a more advanced person and if I am becoming wiser. As a freshman in college it is important to be technology savvy.  Technological resources such as the computer and the World Wide Web have allowed me to become more aware of things around me such as communities I couldn’t see if I stayed home and different cultures. A limitless amount of information is available through the internet and this can be very beneficial when we are assigned research papers. Communication via Skype and other video chats is useful for international students that don’t have cell phone plans that cover international calling. My roommate for instance, is from Trinidad & Tobago and she Skype’s every Saturday night with her parents.  Technology can cause me to lose concentration and therefore my grades suffer. Technology such as the computer, the television and the cell phone are distractions when mixed with school work. I have noticed that the cell phone is used during class by a lot of students. I will not exclude myself because I am guilty of it as well. All in all technology is an incredible source, but it can also be harmful if we do not learn how and when to use it.
How I hope technology is used in the future at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment